Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Belt

So I was about to fall asleep and I had an idea for waist/midriff belt. Instead of writing it down like a normal person, I had to make it.

There was a reason I was thinking about waist/midriff belts; the idea didnt just come out the blue. My solo art show opening is on friday night and I was thinking of what to wear the other day and found a cute high waisted skirt to wear with a long sleeve top tucked into it, but it needed something to tie the bottom and top elements together. The colors are various shades of turquoise with a bit of purple at the bottomand so when I took a black belt that I have and tried it on, it didn't look right. So I have been thinking of how to get around that. And it came to me whilst trying to sleep. I took apart the waistband of a pair of gray trousers, like the type business people wear. I had them lying around. They were a size 22 from the Bitten by Sarah Jessica Parker line and since I lost weight I have been meaning to take them in but haven't gotten around to it in almost a year. And taking in a pair of size 22 pants to a size 13 is not the easiest feat in the world, because of oversize pockets, pleating, and ridiculously high rises. Anyway, I fit the waistband to my midriff, just under my bust, and then cut long strips from one of the pant legs and sewed them in tight ruffles along the length of the belt. it currently closes with the pants original hidden hook closure. I added a fake flower for focal point. If you're interested, the belt took me about 25 minutes and I used what I had on hand. <3 Liz

No comments: