Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Floral dress from baggy maxi skirt

This was a huge skirt I used to wear a lot when I was 50 pounds heavier. It was a size 20 with a drawstring band and the brand name was White Stag, and I had gotten it from the Salvation Army for about $2.50 or $3.00 a couple years ago.

I made it into this cute twirly dress while watching Coco Before Chanel but I didn't start making it till halfway through. Pinning, cutting, machine stitching, and several fittings took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
With the exception of cutting the waistband off (to utilize the drawstrings, cut out the tag, and construct a bust for the dress), I did not cut any other fabric on the dress. Its all taken in using the center column and using my wide whipstitch.
This middle raised part is hand stitched all the way down the center of the bust and abdomen area.
The straps are made from the draw strings, have 3 little beads on front, and I crossed them over in back so that they form an x on my back.

In addition, I added cups in the bust so that o didn't have to wear a bra with this in summer. When its hot I like as little fabric touching my body as possible.  The cups are from an old bra I never wore.

The only thing I have left to do is put in a hidden zipper on the side because its a bit hard to get on and off, do to the fact that its not stretchy in the least.

Oh well, I am in love with it. Sorry for the shoddy pic

Once again, my obsession with sewing robs me of sleep.

Goodnight :)

<3 Liz


No comments: